Somos Mayfair supports children, organizes families, and connects neighbors to uplift the dreams, power, and leadership of community and address systemic inequities.
For Our Children
Every child in Mayfair…
- Is prepared with the early learning and literacy skills needed to develop and thrive.
- Has access to equitable opportunities and resources to discover and develop their passion, talents, and gifts.
- Can analyze, read, and question the world, contributing unique voice, perspective, and action.
- Is supported in developing a positive self-identity, with a deep connection to culture, heritage, and language.
- Is moved to thrive in college, in the workforce, and in life to be a leader in our community.
For Our Families
- Families have networks of mutual support and equitable opportunities and resources to achieve their personal visions.
- Families have a deep connection to community and choose to exercise their leadership in meaningful ways.
For Our Community
- Our community is united, healthy, and safe when exercising our power.
- Our community has a strong analysis of systems of oppression and is ready to develop alternative systems and advocate for change.
- Our rich histories, migration journeys, cultures, and languages are uplifted and celebrated.
- Our sustainability as a community radiates from within through shared ownership and collective action.
Theory of Change
By activating the leadership of the neighborhood, we take collective action to make meaningful changes in the lives of children and families and build sustainable communities.
We believe that all people are valuable and can contribute to building a movement for justice and that we all have power to change the world around us.
We believe it is our responsibility to take action and support one another, our collective heritage, and the common good.
We struggle to reclaim the power that is denied to our community and communities like ours.
Mayfair is a transition community; one of many that is the point of entry to a new country or a stopover for working poor. Transition communities play a critical core in regional society. Thus, our job is to make Mayfair the most supportive transition community possible.
We do not accept the chronic crises caused by the inequitable distribution of power and resources.
We believe that urgent action, even in the face of conflict and risk is necessary
Somos Mayfair was founded in 1997 (originally as the Mayfair Improvement Initiative) to address chronic crisis in Mayfair, a working-poor and immigrant neighborhood in east San Jose. In the early years, Somos partnered with government, corporate, and nonprofit allies to renovate community infrastructure, catalyze new community investment, and develop new coalitions. Over the years, Somos revamped itself to most effectively operate in line with the needs of the community, and opportunities for regional partnerships evolved. In the past three years, this has led Somos to focus our efforts on two long-term community priorities – fostering early school success and nurturing family wellness.